What is a One Hitter?
A one hitter is a hand pipe style shaped like a straight tube that delivers roughly one hit — true to its name. Normally made from glass or metal, these pipes feature a mouthpiece on one end and bowl on the other. Unlike traditional pipes, one hitters lack a carb to control airflow.
Types of One Hitters
There are different styles of one hitters: the onie, chillum and dugout. The onie is more slender delivering roughly one hit while the chillum has a slightly larger bowl, delivering 2-3 hits. A one hitter dugout is a case generally made of wood with two chambers, one for the onie and the other to store ground herb. The last style lets stoners pack a bowl with ease without skipping a beat.
How to Use a One Hitter
Using a one hitter is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
- Supplies – Get your lighter, grinder, one hitter and favorite strain.
- Grind – Grind your herb (avoid a super fine grind because it won’t smoke well).
- Pack – Dip the bowl side of your glass one hitter pipe into your pile of ground herb. Use a twisting motion to pack (holding the onie between your thumb and pointer finger) and take a peek to see if you need to add more. The herb should be tight enough so that it doesn’t fall out but not so much to restrict airflow.
- Light – Bring the mouthpiece to your lips, light the bowl and inhale gently.
- Tap & Repack – When you’re ready for another hit and need to repack, make sure the piece isn’t clogged from the last hit by blowing through the mouthpiece to dislodge any residue, then proceed to repack. You can also tap the glass one hitter against the palm of your hand if you prefer.
How to Clean a One Hitter
Cleaning a one hitter pipe is much like cleaning other smoking accessories. If your piece is made of glass the most effective method is a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and sea salt.
- Supplies – You’ll need isopropyl alcohol, sea salt, a Ziplock bag and soap.
- Mix – Mix the isopropyl alcohol and sea salt in a Ziplock bag.
- Soak – Put your one hitter pipe inside, seal the bag and let it soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse – Remove the glass one hitter, rinse with soap and warm water..
- Scrub – If there’s still residue on your piece, use a pipe cleaner or Q-tip to gently scrub.
- Dry – Give it one last final rinse with warm water and soap, then let it dry before using.
Best One Hitters for Sale
A one hitter is a timeless piece for the stoner who wants a few discreet hits on the go. The draw is clear: it’s convenient, portable and low-key. That’s why we’re constantly adding new pieces to our collection of one hitter pipes for sale. Below are a few of our top picks.
Clear Onie Pipe – This bat one hitter offers is perhaps the most low-key pipe in our collection, and the cheapest at that. Made from borosilicate glass the discreet one hitter pipe measures four inches, ideal for the stoners who have mastered the art of smoking a onie.
Swirl Glass Chillum – Also four inches, this chillum one hitter has a slightly larger bowl that delivers a good 2-3 hits. The borosilicate glass is fumed to perfection with a mesmerizing swirl pattern that will elevate loading and lighting it to the next level. And the three marble feet are perfect for setting it on the coffee table without fear that it will roll off into the abyss.
Twisted Thick Glass Chillum – Made from thick textured glass, this is hands down one of the best one hitter pipes. After a hit or two you’ll get lost in its iridescent finish which transforms at every twist and turn. This one hitter glass pipe is available in rainbow and smokey charcoal black.
Vine Glass Chillum – With its dichro strip this vine inspired glass one hitter pipe shines sparkles amazingly in the light. Its natural vine aesthetic is perfect for a few hits in nature just before reaching an overlook that’s beauty gives you chills.
Highs on the DL
Whether you opt for a traditional onie, chillum or dugout one hitter, you’ll be well on your way to highs on the down low, wherever the road takes you.