A dab tool is a small, thin device that is used to transfer dabs onto the heating element of a dab rig. Usually made from titanium, glass, quartz or stainless steel, dabber tools form an integral part of the dabbing experience.
Best dab tools by concentrate type
The best dabber tools are the ones that work best for your concentrates of choice. Since there are many different textures and consistencies of concentrates, these tools often have a scoop tip, sharp tip or flattened tip, with the most common being the scoop.
Flat or sharp pointed tools will work best with shatter since they can cut or tear an optimal dab size with relative ease.
Crumble and wax
Since crumble and wax both have a rather dry consistency and aren’t sticky, flat and scoop dab tools are preferred among dabbers.
Sugar and sauce
These concentrates have a granular texture, with sugar being like wet undissolved sugar and sauce like applesauce, a bit more chunky. These both do best with a shovel or scoop style tool.
Once your banger is hot and ready, scoop a small glob of concentrate from your dab container and apply it to the banger’s bottom edge. After all your concentrate is melted off your wax tool, cap off the banger with your carb cap. You’ll notice the smoke thicken and that the first few dabs are the hardest.
Normally, you simply torch the dabbing tool until the remaining residue melts and wipe it clean with a paper towel. However, take special care not to burn yourself as the heat can travel up the resin dabbing tool. We would suggest using tweezers or something similar to hold it safely.
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place with no resin dabbing tool in sight, there are many things around the house that you could use temporarily.
- Safety Pin – First, use a lighter to burn off the protective coating on the pin so it doesn’t leach into your concentrates. Then, after you’ve heated up the nail, pick up a glob of dab with the sharp tip of the safety pin. Hold it directly above the nail making sure not to touch anything directly; the heat from your banger will cause it to drop down into the nail on its own without touching the banger. All you have to do is wait in anticipation. Kind of exciting, right?
- Bobby pin – Similar to the safety pin, you can also use a bobby pin following the same steps.
- Wire hanger – And if you’re really in a pinch, another alternative to the safety or bobby pin is a wire hanger.
- Scissors – If you have scissors made from stainless steel or carbon steel, this is probably your best option. Their sharp edge makes it easy to scrape off sticky wax from dab containers and break up shatter effortlessly. Although bulkier, they are perfect when in a pinch.
- Metal nail file – Surprisingly, metal nail files can also work really well because of their pointed tip. However, you want to make sure the rough texture doesn’t extend to the edge. The most common style nail file has a smooth tip ideal for scooping up wax or cutting shatter.
- Screwdriver – While you can use a square top screwdriver too, we recommend using a flathead because it will make it easier to manipulate concentrates.