A bong can be described as a filtration device or a water pipe used for smoking. Bongs are a popular way to get high in the stoner community, and for a good reason. Due to the water component, the smoke is easier to handle than smoking a blunt. In addition, many stoners claim that bongs give them a more potent high. Speaking of powerful highs, people claim that small bongs lead to better highs. Do small bongs get you higher? Here’s what we know.
Photo by Grav on Unsplash
Do Smaller Bongs Get You Higher?
It’s not likely!
According to Winston Peki, owner and editor of Herbonaut, small bongs do not make you higher.
So what makes you higher?
Peki told us “How high you get is a direct function of how many milligrams of THC you consume within a certain time-period.”
In case you’re not familiar, THC, which stands for tetrahydrocannabinol, is the cannabinoid responsible for your high. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that more of it will lead to a more powerful high.
In addition to the amount of THC, there are several other factors that affect how high you get from a specific dose of THC. According to Peki, these factors, which are primarily dependent on the person are:
- Individual metabolism (mostly related to liver enzymes)
In addition to those individual factors, how you consume cannabis affects your high. For example, edibles, while can provide a strong high, take longer to deliver the high. On the plus side, the high tends to last longer. When it comes to smoking or vaping, Peki tells us, “vaping and smoking generally leads to better absorption and quicker onset of effects”.
In terms of bongs, they’re generally associated with a more powerful high. Bongs may get you higher because people consume more of the vapor than they would if they were smoking a blunt. Vapor from a bong is typically easier to consume because it is smoother and therefore less irritating.
Do Bigger Bongs Get You Higher?
So, do bong sizes matter at all? They can!
Bigger bongs are more likely to get you higher than smaller bongs.
According to Peki, “….when you compare bongs, how high you get depends on how much product is inside the bowl, not on the total size of the bong. And a large bong generally has a larger bowl.”
Therefore, a bigger bong may get you higher, simply because it can hold more marijuana. If you don’t put more weed in the bong, it won’t make much of a difference.
Peki isn’t the only one with this view. According to Mic, “the bigger the bong, the bigger the hit”.
Therefore, if you’re looking for a more powerful hit from a bong, opt for a bigger bong instead.
Tips of Improving Your Bong High
If you want to improve your bong high, we suggest:
- Using more potent marijuana- If you use more potent weed, you should have a more potent high. The amount that will give a better high will vary among individuals. Therefore, you can start by increasing the THC in the weed you use a little at a time and see if that works.
- Using more weed- This might seem obvious, but it can be easily overlooked. More weed can help you get a more potent high. Naturally, a bigger bong can hold more weed, so this is another case for purchasing a bigger one.
- Taking deeper hits- One way to get high fast is to take slower and deeper hits from your bong. If you’re a beginner, the intense high may be overwhelming, so be careful or start with smaller hits. In addition to that, you’ll need to hold the smoke for about 2-3 seconds before you exhale for an incredible high. However, remember holding in smoke longer can negatively affect your lungs.
- Trying a gravity bong- A gravity bong is not for a beginner. However, experienced stoners love them because the smoke is concentrated. Therefore, you’ll get a quick and intense high. If a gravity bong sounds like precisely what you need, here’s how you can make one.
- Take a weed break- As we mentioned before, your weed tolerance can affect how you experience your highs. If you’re really tolerant to weed, you’ll typically need a higher concentration to achieve the same high you usually experience with less. While you can keep upping your THC concentration, you can also reduce your tolerance. One sure-fire way to reduce your tolerance is by taking a weed tolerance break.
Do small bongs get you higher? Despite claims they do, it’s not likely. Bigger bongs are supposed to be better at making you high. Highs are indeed dependent on many factors, such as the amount of THC used. In addition to that, there are other small things you can do to help improve your high if that’s what you’re looking for.
Do you have more burning questions around cannabis?
Email us at [email protected] with your questions/topic suggestions and we will get back to you!