Sometimes people talk about hemp and marijuana as if they’re completely different things. Yes, there is a difference but hemp and marijuana are not two different species. They’re both different types of cannabis. As a matter of fact, a book on cannabis said there is no taxonomical difference between hemp and marijuana. However, hemp and marijuana are utilized for different reasons. They can both be incredibly beneficial to you based on what your needs and wants are. Here is what we know about hemp vs weed.
What is Hemp?
Hemp is a cannabis plant that has less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). It is very unlikely to get you high based on the low THC content it has. Due to its low THC content, hemp is also legal in the United States because of the 2018 Farm Bill.
What is Marijuana?
Marijuana also referred to as weed legally describes a cannabis plant with more than 0.3% of THC. Healthline noted that this number is actually pretty arbitrary. While there are varying amounts of THC in marijuana plants, it’s best known for producing a high. Marijuana is not legal in every state and that’s because it is viewed completely differently by lawmakers.
Generally speaking, when people say marijuana, they are referring to the flowers of the plant. The flower contains most of the THC so that’s deemed as important to those using weed to get high.
Hemp Vs Weed: Uses
Hemp and weed are definitely used in different ways. Even though they have tons of great benefits, they can have negative side effects if used excessively. It’s always recommended that if you’re using hemp, marijuana or its products for the first time to consult your doctor if you’re on medication to be on the safest side. In addition to that, start out with small doses and gradually increase as you see fit.
Hemp is sometimes manufactured to make products. Marijuana, on the other hand, is primarily consumed.
Hemp has many uses. According to Healthline, hemp makes:
- Food products
- Animal feed
Cannabidiol (CBD) is extracted from hemp. CBD is used to make a variety of things such as oil and food products.
Weed is primarily used as a recreational drug but is also used for medicinal reasons. Marijuana is inhaled, used orally, under the tongue and topically.
Weed can be used in various products such as:
People also use weed for dabbing, vape it and use it as oils.
Hemp vs Weed: Benefits
There are tons of benefits for both weed and hemp. Both are used for mainly different reasons and thus can have different benefits. What is similar between the two is the impact they can have on our well-being. Here are the main benefits of each.
The following are benefits of hemp:
- It’s a sustainable way to make paper and textile – According to Healthline, hemp’s sustainability is due to how fast it grows.
- Nutritious – Hemp is full of nutrition and perfectly edible. Hemp is full of fiber, protein, healthy fats, and magnesium.
- May prevent cardiovascular disease – Hemp appears to prevent this deadly disease according to this study.
- Great for skincare – Hemp seed oil can treat certain conditions like atopic dermatitis. It can also serve as a great moisturizer. This oil is also believed to have anti-aging properties.
- Relieves pain – Hemp seed oil could be great for treating chronic neuropathic pain.
If you’ve been following our blog, you’d know that weed has tons of benefits. Weed has been linked or is being researched to treat:
- Anxiety – Weed is believed to have anti-anxiety properties. Delta 8 and CBD products are specially believed to have anti-anxiety. High levels of THC can increase anxiety in some people though.
- Depression – Stoners have reported that weed helps them with depression. However, some people have the opposite effect. It depends on the person.
- Migraines – Weed is being researched as a treatment for migraines and the research looks promising.
- Pain – Besides migraines, weed is being looked at as an alternative for opioids. Stoners have reported using weed to effectively alleviate their pain. In addition to that, unlike opioids, weed doesn’t appear to increase pain sensitivity.
Hemp and weed are basically the same plant but are used much differently. Hemp is used in manufacturing while weed is mostly for consumption. The main difference between them is that hemp has less THC than weed. They both have tons of benefits that are worth exploring.
Do you have more burning questions around cannabis?
Email us at [email protected] with your questions/topic suggestions and we will get back to you!