If you’ve just been prescribed doxycycline, you’re probably wondering if you have to put away your blunt until after the treatment is complete. Generally, weed is considered safe for use with antibiotics. At the same time, all antibiotics are not the same. So, can you smoke weed with doxycycline? Here’s what we know.
What is Doxycycline and What is it Used For?
If you don’t know, doxycycline is a type of antibiotic. To be more specific, MedlinePlus says doxycycline is in a class of antibiotics called tetracycline. It works by preventing the growth and spread of bacteria.
Doxycycline can be prescribed for a plethora of different ailments. According to Everyday Health, doxycycline may be used for:
- Respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia
- Eye and skin infections
- Lymphatic, intestinal, genital, or urinary systems infections
- Infections spread by ticks and other animals
- Infections spread by contaminated food and water
There are also many other uses for doxycycline. You can talk to your health care provider about whether or not this drug is right for you.
Can You Smoke Weed While on Doxycycline?
Yes, you can.
According to Drugs.com, whether you are smoking a joint or hitting a bong doesn’t matter, marijuana won’t interfere with the drug. However, they suggest taking a break from smoking weed while undergoing treatment. They believe avoiding weed while on doxycycline will give your body the best chance to recover.
What they’re saying isn’t far-fetched. According to Healthline, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has the ability to suppress your immune system. If you’re fighting off an infection, you want your immune system to be in the best shape possible to do so. That would mean avoiding any weed product with THC.
While sick (and even if you aren’t), it’s recommended that you can get plenty of rest, eat well and keep hydrated.
Can You Smoke Cigarettes While on Doxycycline?
Yes! Drugs.com says you can smoke cigarettes while on doxycycline. However, it provided the same warning as it did with marijuana. They believe your body has a better chance at recovery if you put your cigarette down for the duration of treatment.
As a matter of fact, according to a study, “Cigarette smoking is a substantial risk factor for important bacterial and viral infections.” The study stated that smokers have a 2-4 fold increased risk of pneumococcal disease.
While that study speaks to your risk before getting sick, clearly, it may cause a problem if you’re already sick by making things worse.
Can You Drink on Doxycycline?
According to drugs.com, you can. They said, “you can even drink alcohol while you are taking the doxycycline. The alcohol will not stop antibiotics from working and you shouldn’t experience any nasty effects.”
However, as they have stated, doctors often advise that you avoid alcohol when sick. The reasoning is the same behind taking a break from weed and cigarettes. Avoiding alcohol gives your body a better chance of fighting the infection.
Drugs.com also noted that some antibiotics such as Metronidazole, Tinidazole, and Bactrim may cause a severe reaction when taken with alcohol. Therefore, don’t assume that because it’s safe to drink with doxycycline, you can drink with other antibiotics. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist.
What Should I Avoid on Doxycycline?
Even though weed, cigarettes, and alcohol aren’t off-limits, there are some things you may want to avoid when taking doxycycline.
As a general rule, always tell your doctor about all the medication you take so you can avoid an unpleasant interaction. Even supplements or vitamins you take should be disclosed to your doctor.
Here are some other interactions to watch out for when taking doxycycline, according to MedlinePlus:
- Antacids that contain magnesium, aluminum, calcium, calcium supplements, iron products may make doxycycline less effective. They suggest taking this doxycycline 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking antacids and calcium supplements. This rule also applies to laxatives that contain magnesium. Take doxycycline 2 hours before or 4 hours after iron preparations and vitamin products that contain iron.
- Doxycycline may decrease the effectiveness of hormonal birth control. Therefore, you may need to opt for another birth control method in the meantime.
- Since doxycycline can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, avoid prolonged exposure to the sun and employ other protective measures. Protective measures include applying sunscreen and wearing sunglasses.
- If you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to be pregnant, tell your doctor. Doxycycline can be harmful in those cases.
Can you smoke weed on doxycycline? Yes, you can. However, you may want to put your blunt down until after you feel better. It’s generally believed that your body has a better chance of recovering if you avoid weed, alcohol, and cigarettes when sick. If you’re battling an infection, rest up, eat well and stay hydrated. In addition to that, make sure you discuss other interactions with doxycycline with your doctor.
Do you have more burning questions around cannabis?
Email us at [email protected] with your questions/topic suggestions and we will get back to you!