Cannabis Science

My Dog Ate Weed, How Long Will It Last?

dogs running

Remember when people used to say “the dog ate my homework”? Now more and more people are saying “my dog ate my weed”. Whether your doggie got into your edibles or swallowed a blunt, they’re probably experiencing some strange symptoms right now. If your dog has eaten weed you may notice a loss of coordination, change in behavior, or sensitivity to sound. Some symptoms may be scary to witness such as dribbling pee, lying still, and even being in a coma. At this point, you may be counting down the minutes till your pooch is feeling better.  Here’s how long their symptoms will last.

Photo: Unsplash 

My Dog Ate Weed, How Long Will It Last?

Karl Jandrey, a professor at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine told Mic that the effects will last between 18 to 24 hours. That is much longer than how long edibles last for humans. 

Dr. Ibrahim Shokry, BVSC, MVSC, PHD, professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine told Pet MD that symptoms can last for days. 

The reason why dogs tend to experience a longer high has to do with their biology. Jandrey says that dogs recycle THC and other cannabinoids. They explain that after the dog eats the cannabis, it’s absorbed in the gut and then stored in the bile. Whenever the dog chows down again, the bile is secreted and will reintroduce your furry friend to the cannabinoids.

In addition to that, Jandrey noted that the smaller the dog and the more concentrated the THC, the more they will be affected. Mic says, “weed brownie would probably have a smaller effect on a Great Dane than it did on my former housemate’s smol chihuahua mix.”

What to Do If My Dog Ate Weed

It’s no secret that weed isn’t exactly great for dogs. However, Steven Friedenberg, an assistant professor at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine told Mic that your pooch will probably just sleep it off. 

Friedenberg also says that if you’re uncertain about your dog’s wellbeing or have any concerns, take them to a vet. However, if the dog is eating and drinking normally, they may be alright. 

Jandrey also told Mic that if the dog is only mildly affected and doesn’t have worsening symptoms, you can allow them to ride it out without going to the vet.

However, you should still monitor your dog because symptoms can worsen over time. Jandrey says that if you see a worsening of symptoms within an hour or two carry your doggy to the vet. 

You may have to take your dog straight to the hospital in some cases. Friedenberg says if “your dog is hard to rouse, or you struggle to get them to walk”, take them to the hospital for treatment. In addition to that, Mic mentions that if your small dog has eaten a lot of weed, take them straight to the hospital. 

Pet MD has a much more cautious approach. They urge readers to bring in their dog if they even just think their dog ate weed. They also encourage you to bring your dog in even if you feel embarrassed because other dog owners have found themselves in similar predicaments. 

The truth is, not every pooch will be lucky enough to make it through.  Some dogs have died from ingesting weed. Mic retells stories of small dogs eating weed butter and passing away. However, they clarified that even though eating weed may be fatal for dogs, it’s still rare. 

In addition to that, your dog can get really sick if they ate edibles with chocolate or weed butter. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Dr. Caroline Wilde, staff veterinarian told Pet MD that butter can cause “GI upset and potentially pancreatitis”

What Does Treatment for Dogs Who Eat Weed Look Like?

Well, it depends on the situation. 

For example, Wilde told Pet MD that if you bring in your dog right after they ate weed, your vet may induce vomiting. This is to prevent symptoms from starting. 

If your dog is experiencing symptoms already Wilde says the vet may offer supportive care such as fluids, cardiovascular support, and temperature regulation. 

In terms of fluid as treatment, Friedenberg says your dog may be given an intravenous lipid solution to absorb the THC. 

The cardiovascular support may be for the irregular heartbeat or low heart rate some dogs experience according to Pet MD. Temperature regulation becomes important because your pooch’s temperature may be too high or too low. 

Other treatment may become necessary if your dog had chocolate. Wilde says treatment for your doggie may include:

  • Antiarrhythmics
  • Anticonvulsants
  • Fluid therapy
  • Activated charcoal

How to Prevent Dogs From Eating Weed

Naturally, you don’t want your dog to eat weed and get sick. In order to prevent this, Carlson told Pet MD that you should store your weed “high in a cabinet in a container such as a jar with a metal lid will prevent accidental injury.”

Mic also suggests:

  • Putting the weed in a hard to access spot
  • Hide your edibles and blunts before the high hits
  • Keep your furry friend crated when they don’t have any supervision

The general rule is to keep it out of reach the same way you keep dangerous things out of the reach of kids. 


If your dog ate weed, the symptoms may last anywhere from a couple of hours to maybe days. To be on the safe side, bring your dog to the vet for treatment. However, there are some cases where it may be okay to let them stay home. However, if you are choosing to keep them at home, monitor them for worsening of symptoms. In the future, make sure you put your weed somewhere your doggy can’t get it.


About Trevann

Trevann is Stoner Rotation’s Jamaica-based lead writer for the Science section of our cannabis blog. She graduated with honors receiving her Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular Biology from the University of West Indies, Mona. For the last three years, she has covered some of the biggest questions around cannabis and health underpinned with research from supporting studies, medical journals and scholarly articles. Got something on your mind? You can reach her at [email protected].