Believe it or not, millions of Americans have used psychedelics like shrooms. Psychedelics also called hallucinogens refer to drugs that alter your perception and all five senses. They can also affect your cognition and your mood. If you’ve ever taken shrooms, you probably already knew that. Shrooms contain psilocybin. Psilocybin is also classified as a hallucinogen and a schedule 1 drug. But what you may not know is whether or not shrooms go bad. Well, we have the answer to this very popular question.
Do Shrooms Go Bad?
Yes, they do. Just as weed can go bad, so can magic mushrooms.
Dr. James Woodford, a forensic chemist, explains to Vice that over time, certain factors will alter the chemical bonds in drugs leading to a loss in potency.
Are Shrooms Dangerous After They Go Bad?
Well, Dr. Rick Doblin, a chemist who founded the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies says stale drugs, in general, are usually harmless. Doblin was quoted in Vice saying, “ “Most of the time old drugs just lose their purity. It’s rare that they become dangerous.”
However, this statement wasn’t specific to magic mushrooms, just drugs in general.
On the other hand, Psychonautix Shrooms Dispensary says that consuming spoilt mushrooms can lead to adverse effects. They mentioned vomiting, diarrhea and possible food poisoning. However, the dispensary and Doblin both agree with the loss of potency.
It should be noted that even perfectly fresh mushrooms could cause adverse reactions. According to Insider, a bad trip can cause many physical ailments. Insider says a bad trip causes, “unpleasant physical symptoms such as nausea, chills, vomiting, or headaches.”
Signs of Spoiled Shrooms
There are several signs of spoiled mushrooms. Look out for:
- Mold – Yes fungi can still get moldy. If you see mold on your shrooms, it’s best to just throw them out.
- Bad Smell – When things smell bad that’s a telltale sign that they have gone bad. In addition to that Psychedelic Experience mentions that a sweet smell is still not ideal and that the mushroom should be tossed.
- Spotted – If your magic mushrooms have white or black spots then it’s time to toss them out.
How Long Do Shrooms Take to Go Bad?
According to Psychedelic Experience, fresh mushrooms will last just about a week or two. After that, they’ll go bad. However, dried mushrooms last a lot longer.
Dried mushrooms can last up to six months if stored properly.
How to Store Shrooms
Storing shrooms properly will extend their shelf life. Psychedelic Experience suggests storing fresh mushrooms in Tupperware with a paper towel or a paper bag. They also suggested using food vacuum packers to keep them fresh for up to three months.
Some magic mushroom users prefer to dry them before storing them. That’s because dried shrooms have a longer shelf life than fresh shrooms. According to Psychedelic Experience, mushrooms are dried using food dehydrators, Epsom salt, the oven, or air drying.
Psychonautix Shrooms Dispensary suggests storing dried shrooms by:
- Storing in an airtight container – These containers could be Tupperware, another plastic container with a lid, food vacuum packs, or glass containers. They said these containers with tight lids are ideal because they prevent air, moisture, and insects from entering. It should be noted that vacuum sealing is a far superior storage method but it’s more expensive.
- Storing with silica gel – The role of silica gel is to prevent moisture from gathering in the container. The dispensary says, “it’s completely practical to put in a couple of bags of silica gel in your preferred containers to help preserve your beloved shrooms”.
Shrooms can go bad as most things do. They may cause negative effects when ingested. People tend to extend the shelf life of shrooms by proper storage methods. You may still experience negative effects from magic mushrooms if you have a bad trip and not because the mushrooms have gone bad. If you’re experiencing negative effects, it’s a good idea to see a medical professional.