Magic mushrooms are often the go-to for psychedelic and hallucinogenic experiences. Usually, people take shrooms orally. People either add shrooms to food or eat them by themselves, dried or fresh. Typically, people don’t smoke shrooms but some do. So, you must be wondering, ‘Can you smoke shrooms?’ Here’s what we know.
Can You Smoke Shrooms?
Technically, you can. People sometimes turn magic mushrooms into a powder, add it to tobacco or weed and then smoke it. Others have also smoked purified psilocybin crystals through pipes.
However, just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.
Smoking shrooms isn’t a great idea and can be dangerous. According to Healthline, smoking shrooms can put you in danger because of the:
- Risk of Mold Spores – Smoking mushrooms may cause you to inhale mold. Mold is especially dangerous to people with lung conditions or a weakened immune system.
- Dangers of Smoking – Any type of smoking carries certain risks. Smoke isn’t good for your lungs and so choosing to smoke shrooms can cause irritation in your respiratory system. Healthline says that any smoke can lead to lung cancer and mixing the shroom with something like tobacco will carry even greater risk.
- Possibility of Side Effects – Heathline says that you could have physical side effects from smoking shrooms. Some examples they gave were abdominal cramps, nausea, increased body temperature and blood pressure and muscle weakness.
- Chance of Psychological Effects – If your reality is distorted, you could find yourself doing things outside of the ordinary and having regrets. It may not happen but it’s something any mushroom user has to be aware of going into it.
- Slim Chance of a Bad Trip – There is always a chance of having a bad trip when you take mushrooms regardless of the method.
How to Reduce the Dangers of Smoking Shrooms
Healthline has made some suggestions for people who are going to smoke shrooms anyway.
- Don’t Hold the Smoke in your Lungs – While stoners are notorious for holding smoke before exhaling, it should be avoided. Heathline says to ‘exhale right away’ to reduce the toxin exposure time for your lungs.
- Drink Up – Being dehydrated is always bad but when using shrooms it could be especially dangerous. Remember that shrooms elevate your body temperature so you’ll want to keep your body cool. You may also get dry mouth which could be alleviated with some water.
- Don’t be Alone – Tripping can be scary and having someone else there could be helpful.
- Eat – You may avoid the gastrointestinal discomfort that comes with shrooms by eating something beforehand.
- Don’t Mix It – Put down your weed and tobacco. Smoking shrooms with weed and tobacco will probably be a recipe for disaster.
Does Smoking Shrooms Get You High?
Heat actually breaks up the psychoactive chemicals in the mushroom. Healthline says, “ Psilocybin breaks down at high temperatures, so lighting up shrooms basically kills the main ingredient responsible for the trippy effects.”
Therefore lighting up the shrooms probably won’t give the smoker their desired high.
What Does a Bad Trip Look Like?
As we mentioned before, there is a possibility of having a bad trip when you smoke mushrooms. While it’s unlikely because the heat destroys the psychoactive component, everybody has a different experience.
If you’ve never had a bad trip before, you probably aren’t sure what to look out for.
Healthline says a bad trip could look like:
- Unpleasant hallucinations
- Lacking the ability to see tell the difference between reality and fantasy
Bad trips can even be dangerous.
According to John Hopkins, after their worst bad trip, people reported:
- Putting themselves or others at risk (10.7%)
- Acted aggressively or violently (2.6%)
- Tried to get medical help (2.7%)
Healthline suggests calling 911 if you or someone else is experiencing symptoms like aggression and seizures after using shrooms.
How to Cope With a Bad Trip
According to Here to Help, if you’re having a bad trip, try to go in a safe environment. In general, the use of mushrooms is recommended in a safe environment because of this reason.
Here to Help also suggests playing calming music and simply waiting until the bad trip is over.
In addition to that, it’s advised not to try controlling the experience, instead just let it happen.
Finally, Here to Help suggests meditation and relaxation.
Can you smoke shrooms? Yes.
Should you smoke shrooms? No.
Smoking shrooms is not a great idea because it can be dangerous and is unlikely to be a pleasant experience. Chances are you won’t achieve your desired trip. At the same time, there is always a risk of a bad trip whenever shrooms are involved so exercise caution anyway. Even though some people smoke shrooms, it definitely is not recommended and should be avoided.
Do you have more burning questions around cannabis?
Email us at [email protected] with your questions/topic suggestions and we will get back to you!